It's been awhile since I updated this thread and I've learned a lot in that time-frame. Let's get the bad news over first - it is just not possible to do a complete translation of the Wolf RPG editor with just a "resource hacker" program. I knew the job would be difficult, but never expected it to be down-right impossible.
A quick explanation: What I've been doing so far is translating the dialog boxes and menus that exist in the program. These are static text and should not have any adverse effects if changed. The problem are the dynamic text and cross-references that kept popping up. Simple example - there might be a point in one part of the program that says "hero" in Japanese. I translate that to english. Unfortunately, another part of the program is expecting "hero" in Japanese and when that isn't found, errors come up.
Without access to the program source code, the only other way to address the problem is with assembly-level tweaking. While I consider myself a competent programmer, assembly code is not my specialty.
So I decided to try translating the sample game that comes with the editor. Amusingly enough, I believe that I've done "just enough" work on the editor that with the help of google translate on the online help, people *should* be able to translate Wolf RPG games to english. It's not exactly what I envisioned when I started the project, but at least its something.
Speaking of which, the sample game is partially translated. Most of the important bits are translated, so you could spend about 15 mins playing through it.
Here's the download link for my work (this is everything and not just the editor alone),Wolf_RPG_Editor_202a_English_v0025.zip
Got to say, it's been a productive experience. I've learned quite a bit in the last month or two about RPG games and windows programming.
PS : Feel free to contact me if you have any questions/concerns