First of all, welcome to RPG Revolution
I understand you're in trouble with that decision,so, here you are the most notable differences:
RMXP features unavailable in RMVX::
1. If you don't intend to use a single script, consider that RPG Maker VX has an awful default battle system:
>damage is displayed in a text box;
>there's no cast animation on the skill user;
>game party members have no battler graphics, you are able to see only their name, HP and SP;
>battle backgrounds, also, are inexistent in RMVX without a good script...
2. In VX, tilesets are less customizable and is almost impossible to make, for example, a ship with the default tiles; in RMXP you have access to an almost infinite tileset customization, since you can import and/or modify any existing tileset.
3. As regards world map issue: there are several script about this... ok, if you aren't planning in using scripts, well, this could be a major problem...
4. RMXP costs something less than RMVX, despite offering a good mix of instruments which can allow you to create good games;
And now, VX features unavailable in XP:
1. World map can be organized better;
2. Airships, ships and boats are already set up (don't require scripting);
3. Fast event creation (doors, chests, inns);
4. Dungeon creator (fast map creator - nothing special, only a random maze made up of walls and floor...);
5. Letter-by-letter messages with face portraits displayed;
6. Moving parallaxes by default;
Note that every added VX feature can be done in RMXP just adding the right script...
Obviously, the opposite is also true. With suitable scripts, you can fix this annoying battle system issue, while as regards mapping, well this isn't such easy...N.B.
Remember that MIDI/MP3/OGG music can be imported in both versions, no difference between these two. I have a synth too and had no problem in importing my music... just remember to use a program like FL Studio
to record, since it's not automatic and usually keyboards aren't provided with standalone recording programs. Remember also to check what cable do you need to connect your keyboard to the computer... MIDI-to-USB cable can cost even 40/50 €.
Some synthetitzers, like Korg X50, can be connected just with a simple USB cable, removing that issue.
By the way, animation files, sound files, battlers and parallaxes (panoramas)
are actually the same in both programs, so you can download both RTPs and use graphics from both makers...
However, the best way to get rid of scripts is trying without fear! Just copy one of the scripts, paste it above main, try to modify it and if it caues trouble, delete it... You can find some good tutorials here and there
In my personal opinion, RMXP is better, but I'm a long-time-scripter, so this could be not relevant...
In fact, RMVX hugely disappointed me. I've uninstalled trial version after two days. Default battle system is the most awful ever...
I hope this can help...
This post has been edited by Jens of Zanicuud: Jan 10 2012, 12:42 AM