RPG Architect is founded on 3 principles.
- Ease of use
- And support
RPG Architect has been in development for some time and is now just starting to see code, all progress and updates will not be as fast as others as this at this time is a one man gig so don't expect to see this completed before 2013.. However, I should have playable and working version this year!
RPGA will start out pretty much as a SDK first and than the gui will come later so this way the templates can get created and polished before any major gui work is done!Features
- Uses the latest version of Ruby, 1.9 as of this post.
- Built on top of Ruby Game
- Uses OpenGL for some 3D effects like Mode 7.
- Uses the SDL library
- Particle Editor
- Not just limited to RPGs, create platformers, racers, shooters, etc.
- Premade templates makes development even easier!
- Extend your games with the built in script editor!Planned beta templates
- RPG (Final Fantasy based, will basically be like Final Fantasy)
- A-RPG (Allows you to create action rpgs like Zelda, and seiken Densetsu)
Because this is aimed at RPGs the rpg templates will come first, than after that we'll plan on releasing other templates starting with a mario platformer!Have any idea's or wanted features?
Have any idea's or some features you'd like to get added than why no let me know through a PM or just post in the topic.
IF you want to be the secret person than you can reach me at Erick@planet-rpg.com (no spam e-mail please!) Q/A
- When will the project be completed?
1.) It's hard to say but if I'm aiming the gui similar to RPG Maker and how the engine functions I would say somewhere between 2012-2013. It's a tough call at this point.
- Is this like the other makers that brag about ese of use but still require programming?
1.) Nice question, and to answer it. If you've used RPG Maker it'll be as easy as that, but without all the limitations.
- What types of games can be made?
1.) Any, almost any type of game can be made with RPG Architect even if it's aimed at RPGs!
- Pixel Movement?
1.) Sadly yes, this is what limited RPG Maker not that you can't script it through RGSS(Ruby 1.8) but you still have tile collision issues, NPCs not moving correctly or getting stuck. If this was by default there would be no need for RPG Architect mainly due to the fact Enterbrain shot thereselves in the ass with that decision and also because you can't truly fix the problem either. So A-RPGs are almost pointless with RPG Maker, even with RGSS!
2.) That is my own thoughts on RPG Maker, it's good software but horrible for A-RPGs.. Great for anything like FF typed rpgs.
3.) Tile-movement will be possible through script. Release Dates
- At this time there is no planned release date, will always keep you updated!Notes
Please leave all comments and suggestions, also now would be a good time to request how you guy's want the GUI!
Mostly working on the RPG SDK template(s) at this time.
This post has been edited by Rukiri: Mar 23 2011, 12:17 AM