B★RS Coding Ninja
Group: Global Mod
RM Skill: Advanced
Rev Points: 15
How to Ask for Support
If someone is not doing these things, or you think that this could help them, then just post a link to this thread. Don't be rude about it, just point them in the right direction.
Before You Ask…
- Check the rules of the forum and make sure that you are in the correct sub-forum.
- Check to see if your problem has already been asked before.
- Use the search feature, it's there for a reason!
When You Ask…
- Use descriptive Topic titles.
- You are in a help forum, you have no need to put "help" in the title.
- Give a short description of your problem in the Topic description area.
- Never flag a topic with "Urgent".
- If someone can't understand you, then they can't help you.
- Be nice, and people might just help you because of that.
- Be precise about your problem, the more information there is to help, the quicker your problem will be solved.
- Explain exactly what you are doing, what you aim to achieve and what you have already tried.
- If you have an error, tell them the exact error. A screenshot of the error message is always the best way to show exactly where the problem may be.
- No one is here to serve just you, don’t mass PM people to help you.
- Don't complain when people don't do your work for you or insult the community for not helping you. You either didn't follow the general guidelines of this post or no one could help you (not every problem is solvable or the task might be too much work to expect a quick response).
- BE PATIENT.
After You Ask…
- If your problem is solved, mark the topic with a "[Solved]" tag and close the thread, if you aren't a Rev, get a moderator to lock it for you.
- If someone took their personal time to help you, at least give them a thank you. This gives that person a pat on the back.
- Remember the person who helped you. They just might need something from you one day.
- If you need further support, then create a new topic (not always the case, but it's recommended)
- If your problem wasn't solved, be polite and ask for further clarification.
- Keep people updated: add more to what you have done in your main post.
- Keep trying by yourself. People won't always be able to help you solve your problems.
Remember: They are helping you, not the other way around. Be polite, be patient. Help them to help you, and be sure to thank them for any work they do to help you.