Boy, it sure has been a while since I actually posted something here...Well, aside from a few RP posts in Afterlife but THAT DOESN'T COUNT. Well now, for the people are reading this and know me, I know what you're probably thinking "Oh man...Nicsp's gonna make a new RP and then get too busy to administer it again..." AND THAT...Is..Not...True...Well, not yet, anyways...BUT I AM WILLING TO TRY. And those who don't know me are probably wondering who I am so...Hi, i'm Nicsp, I RP here, I moderated the RP forum place for some time but then had to drop out due to university and whatnot.
BUT ENOUGH ABOUT ME.
Does anyone know what a forum adventure is? I didn't until a while ago...Well, I did but didn't...See, I had seen them being done and even actually attempted one, but I didn't really know what they were called, crazy huh? At any rate...A few months ago, Sparrowsmith suggested attempting to make one to see if it would boost some activity here in the RP Forums...Though he did theorize if he should make one in fun and games first, just to test the waters. For those who still have no idea what a forum adventure is, Sparrowsmith explained it in the quote below.
QUOTE (Sparrowsmith @ Oct 8 2012, 02:10 PM)
A forum adventure is basically a second-person narrative (usually with pictures, sometimes without.)
MSPA forum holds the monopoly on them, but I have seen other forums use them to some effect. Prequel is an adventure that reached such popularity it now hosts on its own site. However, it started on MSPA, and all of the commands come from either there or from the website it is no hosted on. The character's name, personality, and adventure is mostly decided by the reader. Rubyquest is an example of a forum adventure, it was hosted on 4chan and is actually pretty damned good.
Most adventures however look more like This They're wacky, almost unintelligible at times, and just good fun. They'd probably be better to run in the Fun and Games section of the forum, but some of them are a Higher Standard than others.
They're pretty fun. I actually run one on MSPA. This is the only dwarf fortress adventure I could find, but I'm sure there are more... somewhere.
So yeah, probably more suited for Fun and Games, but there could be some crossover.
Edit: Found another Sort of Dwarf Fortress Adventure.
But, moving on, I didn't actually see him do either (And if he did and I just missed then god damnit sorry) and I've had an idea cooking in my head for one a while now, I pretty much got a rough outline of the story and setting finished and all I need to do is actually start drawing up a few characters and scenarios so we can get this thing started. Before I do, however, i'd like you guys input if you would be interested in it.
Now, let me clear up some things.
1. But, didn't you attempt this with the Watchers RP and then failed? - Well, yes...But see, Watchers was HEAVILY image based, with the text posts only occuring between the players and by me on some very special occasions, everything else was transmitted through the images itself, also there's the fact that, for The Watchers, I was doing actual comic-pages for each and every event and was doing them weekly, which was...Rather complicated. This Forum Adventure I have in mind is a lot more text based, with the pictures serving more to illustrate the location and setting rather than tell the story per say. Also, i've been studying and researching a few tricks to recycle images and hopefully reduce my own workload in this, though I will still put a lot of work in the images that contain important or plot twisting events, for the sake of dramatic effect. So it'd be a lot easier for me to dish out pictures and keep this active.
2. Well, didn't Sparrow say that these would be more suited to Fun & Games? Why not post this there? - While I may post this in there as well depending on a variety of factors, this forum adventure is, as Sparrow also mentioned, one where we have an actual plot and setting carved out and an objective that we must seek out, as well as a certain degree of, dare I say, "realism" to the way how we will be dealing with the characters and story. This doesn't mean that absurdity isn't to be expected, sure, but it won't be the main point.
3. Well, you say you got a story and plot ready in mind, then what is the point of making it interactive, anyways? What's that story about, anyways? - What I have set in stone is a world, a starting point and a objective. How the character(s?) will interact with the world and how the objective(s?) will be achieved, on the other hand, will be left up completely in the hand of you all good folk. In regards to what the story is about and such...Well, I don't want to spoil much, seeing as I want to be sure that everyone still gets some surprises and plot twists every now and then but...The setting of the story is a mix between the steampunk and fantasy settings, I grabbed a fair amount of elements from both and have been applying them in both the storytelling aspect and in the visual aspect of the story...If you have no idea what i'm talking about, just picture it as something very similar to the game Dishonored.
4. You seem like you already have it all planned out then...Why are you asking if you should do this or not instead of just doing it? - Well, honestly, because I'm the kind of person who thinks up of stories and settings while they are doing other things...So this idea itself started out in my head roughly a few months ago and has been building itself up bigger and bigger with time, along with my hype for actually making this. However, I do realize that the RPing forums have not been a very active place in the past...Well, in the past year, really. And I guess you could consider this post to be a sort of activity check, to see if we'd have enough people in here to actually get this going at a steady pace, hopefully encouraging more people to join in later on, if possible. Or if I should just downright start this in The Playground to try and hog as many people into it as possible.
5. What level of art can we expect from this? - Like I said earlier, i'm going to try and focus more on the writing and less on the art, also i'm going to be using a lot of little "tricks" to try and make the art quicker for me to make. If you want an example, though, here.
6. Why are they all using cloa- - If you go and look at other forum adventures, you'll find that many of them also hide their characters arms or use styles where the arms do not appear unless necessary, this is also the case with this. They have more elaborate outfits and arms below those cloaks, but they remain hidden except during the more dynamic scenes. I came up with an IC reason for them to be always wearing cloaks too, anyways, so...Yeah.
I don't know what else to put in here, so i'll just stop typing for now and let you guys make your question/give your feedback, cheers.
Group: Local Mod
RM Skill: Skilled
Rev Points: 5
This section of the forum may not be dead quite yet... I'll support anything at this point for the sake of keeping this section alive. The idea itself sounds really fun.
The userbar links to the right thread this time. :P
Click here for other crap
QUOTE (gamezerstudios @ Jan 18 2010, 03:29 AM)
i don't like blogs last time i got one my desktop blew up!
Dragons and Eggs! Please click :3
Weird Dragon is weird.Pretty Dragon is pretty. Midjet Dragon is a midget.Cool Dragon is cool. Awesome Dragon is AWESOMEOkay Dragon is... Meh UGLY DRAGON IS UGLY! >_<... Ok seriously WTF!? Another Pretty DragonPrettier Dragon WOAH BADASS!Woah... Same as before. >_> Ooh it's a godly looking dragon!Ooh, it's a dragon prettier than the other two! ... Okay seriously what the hell is this thing?
Group: Global Mod
RM Skill: Intermediate
Rev Points: 5
haha, oh wow. I didn't think I would be dragging you into forum adventures with my suggestion. The main reason I didn't go through with it was personal life and dubious interest at best, but if you're gearing up to launch one then I couldn't be more enthusiastic! If it goes well then I'll launch my own See this way I get to have my cake and eat it too.
I have actually toyed with the idea of launching Section Seven as a Forum adventure, and was meaning to ask you if I could use your RP character from that as one of the protagonists (his introduction was just too priceless). Then again, section seven didn't really take off like I planned... Back on point, I am 100% for this idea. Also, the characters wearing cloaks to hide their arms is a hilariously brilliant way of doing the 'no arms' thing. I'm looking forward to reading more about this.
Warning!this post may contain sarcasm, please re-read it in a funny voice The old spoiler was out of control, it had to be stopped.